Okay so I am sure all you have seen this cool new feature on Instagram called Highlights. What’s great about this is now your fun, unique and in the moment, stories won’t disappear after 24 hours. You can save them under the highlights section on your profile and have them there FOREVER!! (or until you decide to delete them yourself)
Another great thing about highlights is that you can customize the covers to suite your own style, so for bloggers, influence’s or regular Joe’s like me this is a super fun way to give yourself a little personal branding and make your Instagram profile really stand out from others!
For business ‘s on the other hand this feature is a game changer as you are now able to personalize your brand even more, you can do this by creating certain categories’ that align with your business or service’s. You can also add a more playful, approachable side to your brand. I mean social media is all about being SOCIAL so why not give your followers what they want?? Show your fun side! I know for a fact that there is probably more than one employee (or even you) at your business who have personalities that your followers would also love to get to know.
Okay Sam well let’s get to the point here! How do we make these games changing covers?
Well today I am going to show you by using Canva, if you have not yet heard of Canva you need to go check them out RIGHT NOW. (especially if you’re are a small business or aspiring entrepreneur with no graphic design budget) it’s a (super easy) design tool. You can use it on your computer or on your phone. It’s going to make your life so much easier.
I’m going to use the app because it has templates for Insta Stories. The computer version doesn’t have templates for Insta Stories. But you can still do it on your computer if you want to. If you are using your computer, select “Custom Dimension” and your Insta Story dimension (example: 1242 x 2208 px).
I would suggest getting a piece of paper and jotting down the catagories you want to have on you profile.
Feel free to open your phone and the Canva app to follow the tutorial with me. There is no better time than NOW!
Open Canva and select “Your Story
Open the Canva app. On top you will see all the designs you can make. Select “Your Story”. This will load templates for Insta Stories.
For this tutorial, I’m going to show you how to design a cover with an existing template my phone does not allow for a blank Canva’s but I will also give you instructions on how to do it with a blank canvas if your phone allows.
Select your background or blank Canva’s
- Scroll down until you find a template you like, I would suggest looking for a template with minimal design and a plain background.
- Remove any text or elements you do not want to keep on the template.
- Your blank template is loaded.
- At the bottom of the screen you can choose a background color for your cover
- Press “+” if you want to choose your own color
- You can also type your own color code (great if you want to stick to your brand or Instagram theme colors)
Let people know what you are doing
Before you get to excited we want to let people know what you up to, you don’t want them opening your stories to be bombarded with all the graphics out of nowhere. Plus most people in South Africa aren’t even aware about highlights and custom covers so lets educate and not look crazy.
- Select the “+” sign and select Text
- Input the text you want to add.
- You can change, the size, font and color here too.
- To change the size select the tip right corner and drag.
- Save and we move on the next step
Choose an icon or add text
Now that you have your into and background color, you can add use the same template or choose another and then choose an icon, emoji or text. It’s up to you.
I am a little obsessed with using icons so that’s what I am going to show you to do.
To add an icon to your cover:
- Select the “+” button on the bottom right corner of your screen
- Select “Graphics”
- You can scroll to discover all the graphics they have, or you can search for a specific icon (example: “heart”)
- Press on the icon you want to use for your cover
- Choose the color of your icon – I like to keep my icons all white if possible but hey that’s just me!
- You can also add some text if you want to let people know your categories before you label them.
- You can increase or decrease the size of your icon but remember it needs to fit into the circle template when customizing your cover. Like when you choose your What’s app profile picture. So, don’t make it too big.
Save the images on your phone
Once you are done, you can save your Insta Story covers on your phone.
- Press “Share”
- This should automatically save the images, or you can select where on your phone you want to save the story.
- Select “Quick Look” (iPhone) or “Upload to Photos” (Android)
- Press the export icon (bottom left corner)Select “Save image”
Add pages to design more covers
Now that you have the jist of it you can either use the same template and add the rest of your icons, or you can save and start again using a new template if you like more variety. You can use the same steps we have done up until here.
Make sure you turn on the Insta Story “Archive”
Before you share your covers on Instagram, make sure you turn on the “Archive” feature.
- Go in your Instagram settings
- Select “Story Settings”
- Turn on “Save to archive”
Post on your Insta Story
You have to do this step in order to set a cover for your Highlight. Your covers need to be added in your Insta Stories first, before you can use them as covers. So go ahead and upload them all, I’ll wait…
Share your covers in your Insta Story
- Select and hold the stories icon and press add story
- Start with your introduction story and continue adding until they have all been uploaded
Once all loaded go back to your stories open them up and press on the “Highlight” button
Create an Insta Story Highlight
Now that they have all been added go to your profile and here you are able to name your highlight.
- Select the “+” button
- Give a name to your Highlight
Your new Insta Story Highlight will appear at the bottom of your Instagram bio
Edit the cover
Here you can change cover images. And you can also resize your cover image. For example, if your icon is too small in the circle, zoom in with your fingers to make it bigger.
You can edit the cover:
- Hold your finger pressed on a Highlight (a circle)
- Select “Edit Highlight”
- Select “Edit Cover”
And that folks is how it is done!! Not exactly rocket science!
I would love to see what you have come up with yourselves so please share in the comments below or on our Facebook page.
Or go check out my personal page to see what I did for myself IG samdwet
Remember to have fun with this and be as unique, crazy and different as you can be.. Can’t wait to see what you come up with!